The East Morgan County Library District was formed in 1981 after the residents voted to support a library district with a 1.5 mil levy on property tax. Prior to becoming a district, the library had operated as a branch of the City of Brush. The original library was formed in 1915 when Andrew Carnegie granted the city $6,000 to build the facility. Over time, the library continued to grow.
In 1978 it was determined that the current building was no longer adequate to serve the growing population of the area. Plans for a new additon were developed and groundbreaking for the new addition began on October 20, 1983. Just over a year later, the building was finished and it was dedicated on November 18, 1984. However, the development of the East Morgan County Library did not stop there. Over the past 25 years after the expansion, it has continued to evolve with the community it was created to serve.
When the library was formed in 1925, there was one librarian on staff and limited hours in the afternoons. With the expansion of the building came more staff, longer hours and a growth in the collection and materials offered. The East Morgan County Library District has continued to change and add services to serve the community. In addition to printed materials, patrons can find audio and visual materials and access to computers, wireless Internet and a copier and fax machine. EMCL was created to serve the town of Brush and surrounding communities to offer them materials and services they may not have access to otherwise.